Tuesday, 10 February 2015

Book 3: A book from an author I've never read before

A Cardinal Sin by Eugene Sue

A Cardinal Sin, by Eugene Sue,a 19th century French novelist, felt like a sermon disguised as a story centred around the lives of two young lovers growing up in the poverty of 19th-century France.


The pace of the plot is too fast for my liking and I was somehow left feeling like Sue just scrapped at the surface of the book; I did not get much depth. Well, maybe that’s me.

The train wreck and the deaths which occurred at Versailles did not move me that much ; the diction there felt too luke-warm to drive me to tears.

In his brisk manner though, Sue  tried to put across this story  of perseverance and romance, centering  on avarice, one of the Cardinal Sins.




No comments:

Post a Comment