Thursday, 25 February 2016

Book 2: A book about a culture you are unfamiliar with - The Godfather - Mario Puzo

The Godfather, I really loved this one. I read the book after watching the film and understood it better.

Mario Puzo’s book outlines the story of a fictitious Mafia family based in New York City headed by the Godfather, Don Vito Corleone.
It covers Vito’s childhood life in Sicily, in America and how he rose to be a powerful and respected Mafia boss. It also covers the lives of his children, Fredo, Sonny, Mikey and Connie and their own relationships and families.

The irony of the story is in how Mikey, who wanted nothing to do with his father’s business ended up being the next Don after Vito’s death and Sonny, who was ready to take over was killed in the craziest of ways.

I fell in love with Santoni ‘Sonny’ Corleone and the way he was killed made me sad (I tend to get attached to book characters) and i felt for his sidey, the heartbreak she went through after Sonny’s death. It was kinda good that the Corleone family helped up, gave her a job which later allowed her to meet with the man she was to eventually settle down with. 

Puzo made me fall in love with Italian crime books and Mafia stories and led me to start watching The Sopranos. The description of the beauty of Sicily made me actually want to visit it one day when the universe hears me but then the fear of how people have been killed and made to flee their homes…hmmmm. 

 The Godfather is an excellent book, I would not do justice to it by reviewing and all, I would just recommend it. Read it, you will love it, a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment